NEWS
The Spanish SHA Wellness Clinic recruits anti-ageing genetics expert
POSTED 29 May 2014 . BY Helen Andrews
The SHA Wellness Clinic in Alicante, Spain has acquired an anti-ageing medicine doctor and professor – Dr Gloria M Sabater – to lead its genetic testing programmes.

After becoming a licenced doctor in 1988, Dr Sabater received a pharmaceutical doctorate from the University of Barcelona, then specialised in drug analysis before becoming an expert in anti-ageing at the University of Charleroi in 2005. She obtained a diploma in genetics in the field of personalised preventative medicine from the European Institute of Personalised Prevention in 2008.

The SHA Wellness Clinic has developed a range of anti-ageing programmes which are designed to delay the process of cellular degeneration. This is achieved by genetic testing to identify health risks, according to the clinic.

The genetic tests allow Dr Sabater, professor of the masters degree of anti-ageing at the Autonomous University of Barcelona, to identify guests’ possible predispositions to diseases such as osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease and cognitive impairment.

Genetics influences 30 per cent of our future health, but the remaining 70 per cent depends on your lifestyle, according to the SHA wellness clinic.

The clinic provides guests with a personal lifestyle approach based upon factors identified via telomere analysis. Telomeres – DNA structures on the end of chromosomes – can be worn down in length through an unhealthy and stressful lifestyle, according to spa consultant for Telome Health, Jay Williams, in an article for Spa Business 2013 Issue 1, page 54.

Testing an adult’s telomeres, via a blood sample, can help medics determine a person’s biological age, show disease risk and provide a health evaluation.

RELATED STORIES
Canadian Spa Association spotlights nation's changing medi-spa landscape in latest webinar


As spas decide to keep up with the trend of becoming more technical, and consequently more solutions-based, the implications of incorporating safe medical services into spas are becoming more acute, according to Dr Diane Wong, owner and founder of Glow Medi Spa in Toronto’s Yorkville, Canada.
Spa sommelier to tailor treatments at Spanish abbey hotel


Abadía Retuerta LeDomaine, a five-star retreat in Spain’s Duero wine region is transforming the estate’s former stable into a spa, complete with a ‘spa sommelier’ who will carry out blind tasting sessions for each guest before suggesting treatments based on individual preferences.
 


ADVERTISE . CONTACT US

Leisure Media, Portmill House, Portmill Lane,
Hitchin, Hertfordshire SG5 1DJ Tel: +44 (0)1462 431385

©Cybertrek 2019

ABOUT LEISURE MEDIA
LEISURE MEDIA MAGAZINES
LEISURE MEDIA HANDBOOKS
LEISURE MEDIA WEBSITES
LEISURE MEDIA PRODUCT SEARCH
PRINT SUBSCRIPTIONS
FREE DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTIONS
 
Spa Business - The Spanish SHA Wellness Clinic recruits anti-ageing genetics expert...
20 May 2019 Spa Business: uniting the world of wellness
 
 
HOME
JOBS
NEWS
FEATURES
PRODUCTS
FREE DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTION
PRINT SUBSCRIPTION
ADVERTISE
CONTACT US
Sign up for FREE ezine
Latest news

29 May 2014

The Spanish SHA Wellness Clinic recruits anti-ageing genetics expert
BY Helen Andrews

Dr Sabater is an international representative for the World Society of Anti-Ageing Medicine (WOSAM)

Dr Sabater is an international representative for the World Society of Anti-Ageing Medicine (WOSAM)
photo: biofuncionalismo.com

The SHA Wellness Clinic in Alicante, Spain has acquired an anti-ageing medicine doctor and professor – Dr Gloria M Sabater – to lead its genetic testing programmes.

After becoming a licenced doctor in 1988, Dr Sabater received a pharmaceutical doctorate from the University of Barcelona, then specialised in drug analysis before becoming an expert in anti-ageing at the University of Charleroi in 2005. She obtained a diploma in genetics in the field of personalised preventative medicine from the European Institute of Personalised Prevention in 2008.

The SHA Wellness Clinic has developed a range of anti-ageing programmes which are designed to delay the process of cellular degeneration. This is achieved by genetic testing to identify health risks, according to the clinic.

The genetic tests allow Dr Sabater, professor of the masters degree of anti-ageing at the Autonomous University of Barcelona, to identify guests’ possible predispositions to diseases such as osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease and cognitive impairment.

Genetics influences 30 per cent of our future health, but the remaining 70 per cent depends on your lifestyle, according to the SHA wellness clinic.

The clinic provides guests with a personal lifestyle approach based upon factors identified via telomere analysis. Telomeres – DNA structures on the end of chromosomes – can be worn down in length through an unhealthy and stressful lifestyle, according to spa consultant for Telome Health, Jay Williams, in an article for Spa Business 2013 Issue 1, page 54.

Testing an adult’s telomeres, via a blood sample, can help medics determine a person’s biological age, show disease risk and provide a health evaluation.




Connect with
Spa Business
Magazine:
View issue contents
Sign up:
Instant Alerts/zines

Print edition
 

News headlines
UK’s The Massage Company expands into India, with plans for 50 franchise locations
UK’s The Massage Company expands into India, with plans for 50 franchise locations   20 May 2019

UK-based The Massage Company (TMC) has signed a deal with FranGlobal, Asia’s largest franchise reseller, to open 50 massage centres across India, .... more>>
Rosewood Ningbo set for ‘new green landmark’ in the heart of ancient Chinese city
Rosewood Ningbo set for ‘new green landmark’ in the heart of ancient Chinese city   19 May 2019

Rosewood Hotels & Resorts is continuing its strategic growth in China with the announcement of Rosewood Ningbo, set to open in 2024. This latest .... more>>
Sangha Retreat names Alan Navarrette spa director
 Sangha Retreat names Alan Navarrette spa director   17 May 2019

Sangha Retreat by Octave Institute has appointed Alan Navarrete as spa director. First opened in 2017, Sangha is a holistic wellness retreat .... more>>
GWS to focus on the future of workplace wellness
GWS to focus on the future of workplace wellness   17 May 2019

The Global Wellness Summit (GWS) has announced a new topic for the event: how purpose needs to be at the very heart of corporate culture and how .... more>>
Heavily processed foods cause overeating and weight gain, study finds
Heavily processed foods cause overeating and weight gain, study finds   17 May 2019

People eating ultra-processed foods ate more calories and gained more weight than when they ate a minimally processed diet, according to results from .... more>>
Company profile


The Madison Collection

The Madison Collection was launched in 1999 by industry expert Charmaine Lang to provide quality, reliable and innovative products.

View full profile>>

Catalogue gallery


Featured Supplier

Fashionizer Spa creates bespoke uniforms

Fashionizer Spa creates bespoke uniforms

Fashionizer Spa offers a complete service for customers wishing to create an exclusive look for their spa, salon, clinic or product brand. More>>




in this issue

• Leeds: first to lower childhood obesity
• PayAsUGym rebrands as Hussle
• Construction set to begin on Scottish tapestry attraction



Spa jobs




Healthy Lifestyle Referral Specialist
Salary: £19,644.04
Location: Bristol, UK
Company: Circadian Leisure Trust
Spa Therapist
Salary: Competitive
Location: Straffan, County Kildare, Ireland
Company: The K Club
Head of Department Roles
Salary: Competitive
Location: Europe
Company: Aspria
Diary dates
Powered by leisurediary.com




19-22 May 2019

SPATEC Spring North America

JW Marriott Turnberry Resort & Spa, Miami, United States


21 May 2019

Meet IAAPA - North America

Six Flags Over Texas, Arlington, United States



Spa Business magazine 2019 issue 2
Spa Business
2019 issue 2

View issue contents
View on turning pages
Download PDF
  Research: Finishing touch
The benefits of face massage rollers have been given scientific backing from researchers in Japan More>>
  Spa Design: Jungle VIP
Kim Megson ventures deep into Mexico’s jungle to discover how two Chablé resorts with Mayan spas are aiming to redefine wellness More>>


Spa Business magazine 2019 issue 1

Spa Business
2019 issue 1

View issue contents
View turning pages
Download PDF
  Everyone’s talking about: Single-use plastics
Is it time for spas to look at their use of plastic? Kath Hudson investigates More>>
  Interview: Marc Cohen
Dr Marc Cohen is launching an extreme bathing retreat and writing children’s books. He talks to Jane Kitchen More>>


Published by The Leisure Media Company Ltd Portmill House, Portmill Lane, Hitchin, Herts SG5 1DJ. Tel: +44 (0)1462 431385 | Contact us | About us | © Cybertrek Ltd